Wednesday, August 31, 2011

How I became a Web 1.0 Internet sensation


Used with permission, CC2.0: KayVee.INC


This year is the 15th anniversary of when I became an internet sensation. I thought you should learn how I did it so you can try it for yourself. It's hard for me to prove that I did it. But if you’re generally predisposed to being a trusting type, you can just take my word for it.

I created IHABICNRWTSF. No, really, it’s true. And you know how popular that is!

Wait, you haven’t been using this abbreviation in everyday speech? (It’s easy. You pronounce it “eye habbik nerwit siff.”) It means “I hate acronyms because I can never remember what they stand for.”

Google it. There are over a thousand references to it online. Sadly, I’m rather proud of that fact. It caught on after I spontaneously posted it on the de facto Internet Abbreviation List in 1996. This was in the days before there was such a thing as Web 2.0, when popularity was measured in hundreds of hits. The site is now defunct, but it was expanding rapidly in the late nineties, and its entire contents have since spilled all over the Internet and multiplied in perhaps one of the earliest cases of viral social media. I never noticed until around 2005 when I went to find out if anyone had noticed.

Apparently, they love me in Poland and Italy. I feel kinda like Jerry Lewis.

Anyway, if you, too, want to become a sensation in the Web 1.0 environment, here are three easy steps to get you there:
  1. Be random.

  2. Be anonymous.

  3. Sit back and wait ten years before you check in.


Now if you actually want to make money and/or receive recognition for doing something, I recommend you work intentionally, take credit, and drive conversation.

But that’s another post.

Why isn't Web 1.0 interesting? Find out in
What's the big deal about Web 2.0?